FEEDING YOUR MENTAL HEALTH DURING LOCKDOWN

                      


As stage 4 restrictions have now come into place in metro Victoria and stage 3 restrictions enforced in regional, there can be a lot of emotions flying around you that may just leave you feeling a little more than flat.

While it's no secret that a vast majority of people are struggling with keeping a good state of mental health, what if anything can you do to "cope" with these murky waters that lie ahead? 

What can you do NOW to get you back on your feet? 

Over the last few years, the light has really been drawn on mental Illness, and how important it is to look after our mind as well as our physical health - in my opinion, both are equally as important.
But mental health has so many more layers than just physical, and when I say physical I'm aiming that
mostly at fitness.

Your mental health is a scale of how well you are handling situations, how well you are performing under pressure, how you feel socially, your work environment and how well you process things, for example.

When ones mental health is poor, coping with situations may be somewhat difficult, finding the energy to exercise or just "do life" could be quite a struggle and that's when you start facing the path of mental illness, depression, anxiety etc.

Hence why looking after our mental health is essential and an investment everyone should make.

Feeding the needs of our mental health might usually be relatively easy for us, we go to work, feel fulfilled, see our family and our friends - filling our social buckets and we might even go to the gym boosting our self-confidence.

That does not take lockdown into consideration.

Have you ever been sick with a cold? Flu? Maybe gastro? Something that really knocked you around and had you bedridden for a good week not seeing anyone, not doing anything CAN'T do anything.
You get cabin fever, right?
Well, at least I do.

I first hand have felt the blow of being in lockdown. Don't get me wrong we are very fortunate, Aaron is still an essential worker, we have a roof over our heads, and we are healthy.

My mental health doesn't understand that those things are enough, though.
I have depression and anxiety. 
I am someone that runs a million miles an hour.
And I have been struggling.
Like so many others, I know that have also been struggling.
So many many friends pushing on through home learning and fighting whatever battles internally.
Not seeing loved ones, not knowing when we will next.
Not being able to attend funerals to have that final goodbye to your beloved.

I don't have a magic potion.

I don't have a quick fix to get everyone out of the slump.

Hell, I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

Some days are shit, some days are flatter than flat, but that's going to happen, and we need to accept that.

These are emotions we are all going to feel at some point in time.

The Iso EmoCoaster. (I can say that because once an emo always an emo) 

*insert flashback picture here*  As if.

And while I don't have a magic potion, it does drive me nuts when I feel so flat, so I have been searching for some kind of release, little tools to find that calm to not only get through your day but to be able to accept the unknown and sit with the bad days and welcome the good.

I downloaded this app - desperate to build some kind of mental health recovery and routine. I have been pleasantly surprised, most days I have completed all tasks barring yesterday because it was a "flat day" even the kids are getting involved which is really proving to build some solid routines within our family. you can find it here https://www.thefabulous.co/ 
available on both Android and Iphone.


Another thing I started doing that I have wanted to do for years - and well I have the time now is to take up Yoga.. properly not just here or there. The benefits of yoga are excellent as I'm sure you have heard people that practice it rave about it.
  • Improved flexibility 
  • Increase muscle strength
  • Improve balance
  • Joint health
  • Helps with back pain
  • Fosters calmness 
  • Reduces stress
  • Increases self-confidence
So how can you resist trying it out? With so many benefits and really that is just the tip of the iceberg.
You can find so many free yoga videos on youtube that you are bound to find one that is the right fit for you.
I really wanted to learn from the bottom up focusing on Vinyassa, so I decided to go with a 30-day challenge by "Yoga with Tim" I'm currently doing his 2019 challenge and then hope to go on to his 2020 challenge. So far, so good. I'm definitely dealing with things a bit better, and I don't know if its coincidence but I'll take it. I feel great while I practice, and I feel calm after. Like I've taken a good minute.

How about social media? Are you finding it stressing you out? Seeing how well others seem to be coping? some are just thriving and your like "yeah cool Karen go bake some more fucking bread!" 
We are human, we compare, but it is SO important to remember that social media is just the highlights. Social media is just the bullshit that we want everyone to think we are! 90% of it probably isn't real!
I took some time off out of sight out of mind. If you think cutting down may help or even just want to see how much time you're actually spending on socials and if it possibly has a negative impact, there are a few apps you can download that will monitor your usage and help set goals on screen time.
Here are a few.


Apart from that tuning out to a good book is always a winner. I never thought I would be converted, Aaron is forever listening to an audiobook and I was so reluctant to try, I much prefer the old give myself papercuts and turn the actual pages. However, my depression can leave me very tired, and reading takes a lot of concentration for me. So plugging my headphones in while I'm doing the housework and listening to an audiobook has been very refreshing instead of listening to my sons TIK TOK playlist on Alexa. Try out audible for free and then get a free book monthly when you are subscribed. 
your mind will love it there is so much to choose from and no Tik Tok dances. https://www.audible.com.au/



I hope this has given you a little inspiration, there is a world we can discover that can help us heal, grow and learn, and it is right at the palm of our hands.

The key to that being our mental health first and foremost.

Look after your mind and who knows the doors it will lead to.

Be kind to yourself.

Be gentle.

We will all get through this, we just need to find our "how".


Tan X












No comments